Monday, January 21, 2008

My Life in a Nutshell: A Better Me

Today's spare time has mostly been about self improvement.

This morning, I flip-flopped kids with a mom friend of mine so we could each go to the gym to work out. Having small kids is a great excuse not to work out because it's just so hard to work around them- their naps, their snacks and meals, and their personalities. Especially when they're potty training, a state of being that would describe the older 2 of my 3 children (and no, they're not twins). Especially when they're in the terrible twos, another state that would describe the same 2 kids (neither is actually two years old... funny how that happens, isn't it?). But we did it. And we survived. And now I'm really tired and will probably defer the cooking of dinner to someone else.

Then, when they were all napping (or playing quietly in their rooms and not napping), I got to do some reading and educate myself about the apparent imminent recession, presidential candidates, and current events. Delightful and rare. It probably only happened because I'm tired and didn't feel like doing anything that required moving more body parts than just my eyes, but still, it was nice.

And now, having actually applied makeup before 5 PM, another rare delight, I intend to give myself a long-overdue pedicure. How's that for a change of pace?

Later I may or may not hem some new pants, fold the laundry, take care of some financial matters, update my family blog, and/or file important documents. But for now, it's all about cute toes and a glass of iced tea. A happy mom leads to a happy family, and I think that is something very worthwhile indeed. Don't you?

No comments: