Thursday, January 3, 2008

A New Blog for the New Year

I'm taking liberties here, but people tend to consider me to be crafty, handy, creative, artistic, or some combination thereof. Here's the crux of the situation and my most sincere confession: I like to make things. I like the stuff that other stuff is made of- be it food, paper, fabric, yarn, wood or anything else. And I can't seem to help trying my hand at new and old techniques alike, even in the face of a time crunch or lack of direction. I am not good at following directions or recipes, primarily because I am not at all disciplined at this stage in my life. But admittedly I am crafty (or manipulative) enough to generally have things turn out relatively how I want despite those critical character flaws. I'm working on it, folks. Who knows? Someday I may knit a beautiful cabled sweater, build a bookcase from scratch, or make anything that involves a candy thermometer.

I love being a stay-at-home mom, but it really is a thankless job. Say what you will about kids, but they do keep you humble! So this is where I get to toot my own horn about the creative successes and inevitable failures that I encounter on a day-to-day basis. I will try to share my secrets, sources of information and the lessons I learn along the way.

Posts may be about any of my interests, not all of which you would agree are "free time" activities. Domestic Bliss is all about everything else I can get away with that doesn't fit under the description of "mommying", even if it is punctuated with diaper changes, tantrums and runny noses. So don't be surprised if you see a lot of home improvement, cooking, seasonal decorating, organization, and kid crafts mixed in with photography, sewing, yarnworks, calligraphy, papercrafts, digital media, and jewelry making. Since my time is limited (whose isn't?), I'll be going back to outline some projects from the past few years and perhaps inspire myself to revisit some things I have left unfinished.

No comments: