Saturday, February 2, 2008

Home Sweet Home: Family Room Renovation, Part I

When we moved into this house, we knew we would be ripping up most of the carpeting in the house because there were hardwood floors hidden underneath. But the one room, other than the kitchen, that didn't have hardwood floors was the family room. Here's a picture from the end of 2004, when we were busy with new baby #1, finishing the kitchen and refinishing wood floors in some of the other rooms...


Yikes! Needless to say, this room was not a selling point when we moved in. At the bottom of the picture you can see the ceramic tile that was in one corner where the door to the garage opens into the room.

By February 2007, 2 years and another 1.5 kids later, I had had more than enough. About 6 months earlier I had made a pact with my husband that I would get into shape and get back into my ideal weight range, and then he would get me new carpet. Seemed fair, but I, just joking at the time, stipulated that if I got pregnant again before that happened, I would get new carpet anyway. So, this carpet was installed a bit sooner that I had originally hoped, but in hindsight I wouldn't have it any other way. Both the baby and the carpet are beautiful, but require regular cleaning to keep them looking nice.

Here are some pictures of the carpet removal:


Since we were planning to redo the hearth and mantle, I wanted to attach some wood to the brick facing where the carpet would go. I also had to put a new board in at the step into the kitchen. I ended up staying up quite late that night. Just the table saw, the electric planer, and me:


And the after picture:


This project, more than anything else about our work on the house, made me realize some things. When you get used to living around things that initially made you cringe, it can be hard to instigate change... but when you do get around to it, it feels soooo nice (especially on my toes).

No comments: