Wednesday, February 6, 2008

From the Kitchen: Super Bowl Appetizers

I feel bad posting about food on Ash Wednesday (a day of fasting and abstaining from all meat, for you non-Catholics out there), but I have been remisce in my posting and need to catch up. Both recipes can be meatless, so it could be worse...

The first is a recipe idea from the wife of my husband's first-cousin-once-removed (his is a family who insists on know exactly how they are related to each other, thusly i must be correct in my distinctions or who knows what might happen?). At any rate, she brought them to a family reunion and they were sooooo delicious, and insanely easy. Here's it is:

Laurie's Pizza Poppers

Ingredients:
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed per package instructions (or a 1 lb loaf of freshly made bread dough, as I did)
Couple tbsps canola oil (any oil, really)
Pepperoni, if desired (I am not a fan, so I didn't use it this time)
Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Cut dough into 1" blobs. Heat oil in non-stick skillet on medium-high. If you want, tuck a piece of pepperoni into each blob and seal. Drop blobs into skillet, flipping to brown both sides. Remove when golden and sprinkle with parmesan cheese while still hot. Serve hot!


The second recipe is named because you can use any kind of shredded cheese you have on hand, as long as it isn't all one kind. I studied in Australia in college, and when my boyfriend (who is not-so-coincidently now my husband) came to visit me, we went to a fabulous little Mexican place and ate the best chili con queso I have ever had. This is not quite as good, but still so so so good (and not at all good for you). When I can eat dairy again I will resume my experimentation to duplicate the original recipe. I have a feeling it involves creme fraiche and fire roasted peppers, and I'm not willing to play around with that unless I can eat it myself. Here's a good recipe in the meantime:

Grab-bag Chili con Queso

Ingredients:
4 tbsp butter
1 small onion, chopped
3 tbsp canned pimientos (or some thin-sliced fire roasted red peppers, if you want to be fancy)
1/2 can diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained as well as possible
1/2 cup milk or cream (whole milk is best, but not terribly critical)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups (at least) of whatever cheese you have on hand (I used a combo of mozzarella, monterey jack, colby, and sharp cheddar... I wanted to get rid of some of the bags I had floating around my refrigerator)

Directions:
Melt butter over medium heat. Sautee onion, adding tomatos an pimientos when translucent. Boil for about 5 minutes to reduce liquid. Add milk and sour cream, stirring well, until very hot. Remove from heat. Add all cheeses and mix well until completely melted. Serve hot with tortilla chips.

No comments: