Saturday, June 20, 2009

Off the Shelf: Generation T

While at my local library looking for general, interesting or educational material about fashion and sewing, I came across the book Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-shirt by Megan Nicolay.

I'm not mean, really, but this book offends in every way. I didn't care for the pictures, the styles or the little add-in boxes of information that were seemingly included to fill space for this surprisingly weighty book. On the plus side, the directions were quite clear and Joe the plumber would have no problem following them, to be sure. The premise is that anyone with an old T-shirt or two, even folks with no sewing skills, can deconstruct, slash or otherwise alter the shirt into new stylish garments. Not so, say I. Maybe if the 80's had lasted 35 years, but it didn't and we are all glad of that. Unless you want to sport Wedding Singer-style, even one successful T-shirt alteration is one too many.

I give this book an F- for content (Amazon gave it 4 out of 5 stars over 151 reviews, but I'm going to have to cite a conspiracy theory to explain that) and a C for effort. It was a little contrived... put it back on the shelf.

No comments: