Friday, January 29, 2010

Feature Friday: slinkymalinkicat

Today, I would like to highlight an Etsy shop that I love, and for more reasons than just its fascinating contents. This week's featured shop is slinkymalinkicat, dedicated to giving new life to unloved antique and vintage prints from disbound books. This paper ephemera paradise is populated with illustrations of game fish, animals, exotic birds, botanical specimens, historical fashion and anatomy.


Since I do not know slinky aside from her good works and from the Etsy community in general, here is an excerpt from her Etsy shop profile: "My name is Kim. I am a friendly soul. I love all things old. I love the history of things. I share my home with three cats, my two young children and last (but by no means least!) my husband. Spiders fascinate me. The love I feel for my children delights and scares me. I am English. I have lived in Latvia since 1998. Living in a very remote area of Latvia I often find myself missing friends and family back in England. Etsy keeps me occupied and helps me feel less isolated."


I completely agree with Kim that being a part of the Etsy community is very important to the whole process of selling there. Like joining a new school or taking a new job, it takes some time to find your footing and actually get to know the other people there. But it is enriching in a completely "icing on the cake", non-financial way, one of the hidden perks of sticking to it and finding your place. In the past year, Kim has really stepped up to the plate when fellow Etsian Laura Slocum (also mentioned in this previous post about ThePeachTree) began her cancer treatment. She led the organization behind starting a new Etsy team, Etsy Project Embrace, to raise awarenes and funds for cancer research through the American Cancer Society. Her continued promotion of the team (items donating to this cause can be found by searching Etsy item tags for "TeamEPE") through forum posts, treasuries and her blog have made her a beloved member of the Etsy community. And she deserves to be :)

7 comments:

slinkymalinkicat said...

Thank you so much for such a lovely feature. I feel truly honoured .... and a little overwhelmed!
Thank you! :)

roughmagiccreations said...

What a wonderful surprise! I just this morning came here to start following your lovely blog, and here's your post featuring slinkymalinkicat, one of my very favorite Etsians! I love her beautiful vintage prints, and your feature is absolutely gorgeous!!!
xoxo Mollie

Monica said...

Kim (and her shop) are both so fabulous! I'm so happy to see her featured here.

LOVE ART WORKS by KRISTIN LOVE said...

Awesome Feature and Blog!! Kim is a wonderful friend and fabulous Etsian and her work with Etsy Project Embrace is invaluable!! I love her Shop and her spirit and you have created a beautiful feature for her!
xoxo
:) Kristin

Susan aka Suzula said...

Wonderful feature about an AWESOME etsian!! Suz

Ginny Huber said...

What a wonderful feature about our very much loved Kim, the idea behind Etsy Project Embrace as you mention! Great to see her and her shop here, Karen.

ThePeachTree said...

Kim is one of the dearest Etsians to me :) It's such a magical place to be able to bring together people from across the world and make them feel like family!