Sunday, April 4, 2010

From the Kitchen: Divine Confections?

Happy Easter! I am out and about, visiting and eating and socializing and being jolly. I hope you also are enjoying today with your family and friends!

As you know by now, I love Jesus. And I like to bake. The next logical step?


Yep... Jesus the Cookie. What better way to show the kids the true meaning of Easter? Edible and educational. And the requisite angel to roll the stone away:


And Easter eggs, for fun. I figured if one turned out lumpy I could explain that it was the stone. Luckily, the ugly ones got eaten promptly so we didn't have to confront that possibility.


The kids all helped make the icing... I love to see kids in aprons! Eventually I had to send them on their merry way so I could actually reach the mixer, but they helped decorate the Easter egg cookies. Kids just don't appreciate fine piping when they see it... all they wanted were sprinkles shaped like butterflies. Ah well... maybe someday.


I had so much leftover icing, I decided to practice making royal icing flowers and leaves for an upcoming little girl birthday cake. They're not perfect, but they're not too bad either. I think I need to invest in some more tips and I should have thickened up the icing more, but over all I'm not at all unhappy about the outcome. Makes me want to take a cake decorating class in all that free time I have hiding around here somewhere...

4 comments:

roughmagiccreations said...

This is beautiful in every possible way! Thank you for starting my Easter morning off with a smile!
Happy Easter!
:) Mollie

jackie fo said...

I think your royal icing flowers look fantastic! I just began practicing royal icing this past weekend.. it's not easy!

Betsy said...

Cookies, flowers, bagels, skirts, not to mention your etsy stuff...good gracious Karen, it's a good thing I live in MN or I'd try to move in with you to try to soak up some of your extra creative vibes! I'm truly in awe; you have so many talents! Thanks for sharing them online, it's inspirational (though perhaps unobtainable for those like myself). :)

megan said...

I also love Jesus and love to bake! I haven't made biblical cookies yet though :) Yours look great! Although I might feel funny biting into a cookie shaped like Jesus :)