Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Life in a Nutshell: Getting Grounded

I'm not talking about punishment. Rather, living in the here and now... making the very most of the one life I am privileged to live, making a difference for others, and enjoying the moments as they pass.

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me." ~Erma Bombeck

We all know that work isn't everything, that we should be taking time to smell the roses and enjoy our children while they're still young and needy. It's true, but have you ever considered if you are actually doing it? Do you smell roses?

I've had a simultaneously depressing and hope-filled week. I'm trying to focus on what is it that ultimately will make my life worthwhile, when all is said and done. This week was unexpectedly dominated by corporal works of mercy... donating used clothing, taking meals to a family who has just had a new baby, attending a child's funeral, and making plans with a group to start new service projects for a local pregnancy counseling center and food bank. I think those things, the actions of giving yourself to make the world a better place, really enrich your own life in immeasurable ways. I'm so glad I was able to be involved in all those situations and use the particular talents I have. I am encouraged. I am grateful. I feel a little bit more successful.

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. - R.W. Emerson

3 comments:

Glenda said...

Beautifully said...
Bravo..
the world needs more people like you...
blessings,
glenda@serendipitycottage

Reenie said...

Great post Karen. You inspire me!! The way that you continuously give to others- and your fabulous photography too :) And the way you come over on a Friday night and help me put in a kitchen floor- you are my hero.

hometown girl said...

oh so true. helping others truly is what it's all about, you're a gem :) susan