Wednesday, May 19, 2010

From the Kitchen: Sweet Secret Coleslaw

I've been on a coleslaw kick since my mother-in-law found the recipe for the creamy coleslaw served at one of our favorite local seafood places, Mac's Acadian Seafood Shack. She recently made it for a family gathering, and I've been obsessed. The downside to the restaurant recipe is that it is loaded with fat and sugar. It's truly delicious, but the whole moderation thing was just not workign out for me. So I decided to see how light I could make a recipe without sacrificing those things I love about that coleslaw recipe... the creaminess, the sweetness and the tangy flavor. And I have to say, I think this succeeds! My husband went back for thirds, and he's not into eating light.


Sweet Secret Coleslaw

Ingredients:

1 (16 oz) bag of coleslaw mix (chopped cabbage and carrots)
2 tbsp minced onion
2/3 cup light miracle whip
1/2 cup splenda (the measure equivalent variety)
1 tbsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:

Mix well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours prior to serving. Enjoy!

The secret? 1/6 of this recipe is only 1 point on the Weight Watchers diet plan. Who knew? What great way to get more veggies in without compromising anything you love :)


The original recipe is as below... the recipe from Mac's was printed in a newspaper, and exact quantities were not given... so I guess you get to experiment to find the balance, like my mother-in-law did. She told me her proportions once but I have forgotten them (sorry for you and me!).

Finely chopped onion
Mayonnaise
Pinch of sugar
Lemon juice
Seasonings from Wishbone Italian dressing (drain the oil from the bottle and use only the seasonings that remain).

1 comment:

Carol said...

Try apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar. That was how I learned to make it from my mom. And we always used Miracle Whip. I had never heard of mayonnaise until I was an adult.
the mother-in-law.