Friday, July 9, 2010

From the Kitchen: Chicken and Broccoli with Rice Noodles in Peanut Sauce

I am mainly writing this post for my own selfish purposes. You see, I can never find this recipe when I want it, for any number of valid reasons, and then I have to search high and low for several days before I can get around to making it. By posting it here, I will save myself that trouble and, just maybe, you'll enjoy it too.


The beauty of this recipe is truly in the sweet peanut sauce. So flavorful and not something we eat everyday in this combination. I love it fresh and I love the leftovers. I regularly leave out the chicken since I don't enjoy that as much reheated (though my husband prefers everything with meat, and sometimes I just have to let him win!). You could play around with the vegetable content, add bean sprouts to make it more like pad thai, or alter it any way you like. This is a personal favorite, no matter what I throw in.

Ingredients:

1 pkg thin rice noodles
2 tbsp butter
1 lb chicken, cut into 1" pieces
1/4 cup oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen+thawed)
4 eggs
Peanut Sauce (recipe below)

Directions:

Cook noodles according to package directions and drain; set aside. Heat butter in skillet and add chicken; cook fully, stirring often. Remove from pan. Add oil and saute onion and broccoli for several minutes, until soft. Add eggs, scrambling and cooking them thoroughly. Add rice noodles and peanut sauce, mixing thoroughly and heating through. Serve hot!


Peanut Sauce (simply mix all ingredients well to make sauce):

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tbsp mirin (sweet rice wine)
2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed

No comments: