Saturday, July 10, 2010

Off the Shelf: Design-It-Yourself Clothes

I recently purchased Design-It-Yourself Clothes for a little light vacation reading. And I must say, it was very informative! I have drafted very simple patterns before, but this was enlightening in a very simple, very straightforward way. It was geared for someone like me... someone who can sew well but who has not been to school to attain that expertise. My eyes have been opened to the crucial design concepts of pattern blocks, making muslins, and the "slash and spread" method of altering patterns. I can't wait to get back to my machine and try a few things! It offers plans for some basic garments, then variations and how they were made from the basic garment pattern, and tells you how to get proper measurements before diving in.

As you can see, I also just added the Amazon Associates function to my blog to more conveniently link to books for reviewing. Please ignore the link unless you want to see it... Amazon is very clever in their ways of getting sales, but I will readily admit to using them for purchasing most of my pre-planned reading material, so maybe you'll find it helpful too. At any rate, I enjoy finding out what inspires, educates and motivates the writers of the many blogs I browse, so maybe you will too.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I've got to check that book out! I am interested in making my own patterns, too!