Monday, September 27, 2010

From the Kitchen: Creamy Chicken and Broccoli for the Slow Cooker

I haven't been the best about cooking for my family lately, what with being a bit nauseous with the morning sickness and all, but some days I really try to make a real meal anyway. My husband plays late night hockey a couple nights a week, and I don't want him to starve for lack of a good meal! My solution on a recent night was to find a crock pot recipe for chicken that appealed to my own current tastes and dietary restrictions (read: "not spicy").

I looked in a few cookbooks to no avail. Commence the online research! Without too much trouble, I encountered a yummy sounding but poorly illustrated recipe on Allrecipes.com, then made some of my own alterations. About 8 hours and one lovely homemade loaf of bread later, it turned out delicious! It earned a happy review from my husband and compliments from my sister-in-law who stopped by unexpectedly. It was wonderful to have actually cooked a great meal and then have company over to document it!


Creamy Chicken and Broccoli

Ingredients:

4 frozen chicken breasts
1/2 cup Wishbone Italian dressing, (drain and dispose of the oil first, then measure 1/2 cup)
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup chicken broth (or 1 cup water plus 2 bouillon cubes)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese with chives
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 pkg frozen broccoli florets, cooked and drained
Hot buttered spaghetti

Directions:

Place chicken in small crock pot; pour dressing over top. Turn slow cooker on to low and ignore for 5-7 hours. In a small bowl, microwave broth to boiling. Add in condensed soup and cream cheese and stir until fully mixed. Stir in  thyme, salt and pepper. Remove most of chicken liquid from crock pot, then shred the chicken. Pour in cream mixture and continue to cook on low for 30-60 minutes. Mix in hot broccoli florets. Serve over hot buttered noodles! Enjoy!

1 comment:

hometown girl said...

this looks reall great! i will have to try this one, i love the crock pot!! susan