Monday, October 25, 2010

From the Kitchen: Ratatouille for Two

I unexpectedly came into possession of some locally grown organic harvest vegetables (did I mention that my mom is a master gardener?), and needed an elegant outlet for some eggplant. This dish was perfect... my husband loved it (because I added meat... ratatouille is traditionally vegetarian), and I really enjoyed it paired with quinoa. Enjoy!


Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, coarsely chopped 
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (I used baby bella)
Salt to taste
1 cup eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoons dried parsley

Directions:

Saute the sausage until fully cooked, crumbling into 1/2 inch bits. Remove from pan and set aside. Saute garlic, onion and mushrooms in oil in a large skillet until tender, sprinkling with salt as needed. Add the rest of the vegetables and continue cooking until all are tender. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley, then cover for 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve with rice, pasta or quinoa (I used quinoa cooked in chicken broth this time... very tasty).

No comments: