Thursday, November 25, 2010

My Life in a Nutshell: Happy Thanksgiving!

I’m thankful this year. Very, very thankful. For so many reasons.

During my short stint as a drill sergeant for juvenile offenders at a weekend rehabilitation camp (this was many years ago, folks!), the crew was making their introduction to the group of delinquent teens. After the head of the program gave his amazing life story… he was found, at the age of 2, fending for himself in a house where his mother had been lying dead for a week, surviving by drinking from the toilet and eating crackers left on the table. His father, who had not permitted the “female operation” that would have saved his mother’s life, abandoned him. He bounced around foster homes for years and was involved with crime and drugs before ultimately finding God and a reason to turn his life around. He then introduced me, saying, “And this is Karen… Well, I don’t know for sure, but I think she may have had the perfect life.” It was humbling after his story full of sadness and turmoil to have led a life with seemingly no challenges. Now I can reflect on the power of growing up with a home life founded on true love, and a faith that makes many obstacles shrink in comparison. Having lived much more of my life since that time, I have experienced some challenges, and I’m grateful for them and for where I am now.

I am content. I am thankful. I am truly blessed.

Here’s my top 10 list of reasons why I am thankful:

  1. For having been given life.
  2. For having a Purpose.
  3. For getting to live everyday with my sweet, wonderful, strong, kind, supportive, hilarious, charming, manly, generous, attractive, and loving husband!
  4. For the 6 little feet stomping around the house, for the 2 stomping around my bladder, and for the tiny two stomping around in Heaven.
  5. For a family and family-in-law who I respect and really truly love to be around.
  6. For an abundance of inspiring, supportive friends.
  7. For the multitude of wonderful children in our lives to help our children grow up right.
  8. For a house filled with with much more laughter than tears.
  9. For talents and the means to use them.
  10. For the ability to appreciate that nothing I have is truly mine, and what a beautiful gift that is.

I wish you a safe, happy holiday full of good company and delicious food!

DSC_8433 thanksgiving

2 comments:

Reenie said...

Soooo beautifully put Karen!! I am thankful for you! Happy turkey day!

Jesse Ray said...

I, too, am thankful for you.