Saturday, December 18, 2010

From the Kitchen: Chocolate Cake Mix Sandwich Cookies

We’re headed off to dinner with some friends tonight, and I was asked to bring the dessert. This sounded like a great deal to me… good food and good company and all I had to do was provide a dessert. So I knew it had to be good!

I am on an almond flavor kick, and I had originally thought that I might make an almond cheesecake. But then I remembered a very important, very hard-to-forget point – there would only be 4 adults (maybe 6) and 7 kids (maybe 10). A cheesecake just wouldn’t be fair.

Enter the cake mix sandwich cookie concept introduced to me (again) by my friend Natalie.

DSC_8923 

She made a batch of these for her kids’ birthday party treat at pre-school recently (she rolled hers in sprinkles!), and the photo she posted on her blog made me want to eat the monitor. When she was describing how she made them, I couldn’t believe how easy they sounded. So I was going to have to try them! Here’s the low down, folks:

Thoroughly mix 1 stick of butter and 1 egg with 1 box of cake mix in the flavor of your choice (I used chocolate). Roll the dough into 1” balls and flatten on a greased cookie sheet (I used a small dough scoop and the greased bottom of a drinking glass, because I’m lazy). Bake at 350 degrees F for about 7 minutes, until cooked through but not crunchy. Cool completely.

Meanwhile, back at the mixer, whip up some buttercream frosting. Any recipe will do! I made a basic vanilla buttercream and added some almond extract to it as suggested by Natalie (which also conveniently met my pregnancy-induced almond flavor craving). I then put it into a zippered freezer bag and squeezed out dollops onto the backsides of half the cooled cookies, then topped each with another cookie. They looked soooo good! But I kept my hands off since they are for the party (so no “Karen’s-eaten-half-the cookie photos today… no one’s sadder than me about that!). But I did help myself to a few fingerfulls of leftover buttercream. Mmmmmm… buttercream…

DSC_8922

DSC_8920

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Cookies made from cake mix are fabulous in my experience!