Friday, December 10, 2010

From the Kitchen: Gingerbread Drop Cookies

Yesterday was my unofficial start to the holiday baking season. We have a couple events this weekend, so I figured a small assortment of confections would be the perfect accompaniment and work for both parties (hooray for planning ahead!).

This particular recipe is a nice alternative to the traditional yet decidedly more laborious rolled, cut and iced gingerbread cookies that proliferate around this time each year. I love those too, but today was not ideal for being both flour-covered and on my feet near a hot stove all day. I hope to make a gingerbread house with the kids in the next week or two (we acquired a neat gingerbread house molding plate via white elephant gift exchange, and we’re dying to try it out!), so I’m letting myself off the hook for serious baking right now.

DSC_8900

DSC_8897 

Gingerbread Drop Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/3 cup molasses
  • 2 eggs
  • 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar for coating

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until well combined. Beat in molasses and eggs until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons into granulated sugar in a deep, round-bottom bowl. Swirl bowl to coat dough with sugar. Place onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Store in airtight container or freeze for up to one month (I froze my extra for closer to Christmas).

DSC_8899

Enjoy! More of my favorite cookie recipes to come…

1 comment:

jackie fo said...

These look delicious.... I am adding them to my holiday baking list!