Monday, December 20, 2010

From the Kitchen: Peanut Butter Balls

My mother-in-law gave me this recipe… it’s truly a favorite of my peanut-butter loving husband. I don’t believe I had ever tried it, though my mind on progesterone is not what it used to be (evidence: I recently went to the grocery store expressly for powdered sugar, and came home with several bags of groceries but no powdered sugar… yikes!).

When my MIL makes them, she leaves a bit of the peanut butter ball showing, and they are then called “buckeyes” after the state tree of Ohio. I do not love Ohio (being from Ann Arbor), so I didn’t mind terribly that I possess the inability to partially dip balls of peanut butter in melted chocolate. Turns out I wasn’t so good at coating them entirely, either, so I decided to distract from the imperfections by drizzling a tiny bit of melted vanilla almond bark on top (in retrospect, I should have let them come to room temp before drizzling because it didn’t adhere as well as I would have liked). I think they look rather fancy! I hope they last long enough to make it on some cookie platters for next weekend :)

DSC_8927

Peanut Butter Balls (also called Buckeyes)

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 2 sticks butter, softened
  • 1 to 1.5 lb powdered sugar
  • Milk chocolate (for coating)

Directions:

Mix the PB and butter until thoroughly blended and creamy. Cup by cup, add in enough powdered sugar until the mixture is workable. Roll it into 1” balls (if it’s too sticky, add more powdered sugar), place on a tray and freeze. Using a heat-proof bowl over boiling water, melt the milk chocolate. Dip each ball into the chocolate to cover completely (I used a tooth pick), then drop onto sheet and freeze until completely solid. If the chocolate is too thick when dipping, you can add a tbsp at a time of shortening to thin it. Thaw before serving, but store frozen (if your husband doesn’t eat them all first).

DSC_8929 DSC_8926

I had leftover chocolate for dipping, so I dipped some pretzel rings to help use it up in a tasty way. There’s still more (I got bored of dipping), so I’ll have to find some other use for it. Cheesecake, anyone?

DSC_8924

2 comments:

Jodi said...

YUUUMMMMMM!!! I was meaning to ask Barbara for her "Buckeyes" recipe, but I much prefer to make "Peanut Butter Balls" instead. :)

Tori said...

Oh I love buckeyes being that my family is from southern Michigan/ Ohio border region and they are a family holiday tradition! I completely sympathize with the pregnancy brain though - if I didn't have it written down, I was guaranteed to forget it! My current problem is getting anything accomplished with a 5-week old! I started making buckeyes at Thanksgiving time and they are yet to be dipped! Not that anyone seems to mind because the peanut butter balls have been disappearing. my goal today is to finish these and try to make your chocolate crinkles! Blessings to you!