Thursday, December 16, 2010

Product Reviews: The Best Crafty Stocking Stuffers!

I was just musing over what to have “Santa” fill the stockings with this year. And then I was wondering what should be stuffed into my own stocking, aside from chocolate. Which made me consider the smallish crafty/sewing items that make my creative life more fun, projects go faster and difficult tasks easier. So here’s my list… and, while these items already live in my “studio” (a generous description of my basement hold-out), I thought some of you might like to see a few of the products I value and love that would also happen to fit nicely into a Christmas stocking. Here’s hoping you do :)

For the Craft Room:

MyoTape Body Tape Measure

41F6GD3GHBL__SS400_ This handy tool won’t fully replace your regular flexible tape measure, but it sure makes taking body circumference measurement easier! I love this thing, and for well under $10, it’s great little gadget. It’s marketed for weight loss/BMI tracking, but it can’t be beat for getting accurate measurements (even in wiggly children) for garment construction and pattern sizing.

Olfa 18mm Rotary Cutter

41bf2LqQJNL

This thing makes cutting out pattern pieces so much easier than with scissors. Just lay fabric on a cutting mat, top with paper pattern piece, and zip around tight corners with ease and speed. Makes your cuts beautiful and accurate.

Fiskars 8” SoftTouch Scissors

71y%2BgF8nJLS__AA1500_

Fiskars has been making spring-loaded scissors for a while now, and they have the competition beat when it comes to smart design and convenience. Easy thumb operation of the locking mechanism (other brands have this feature at the back of the handle… so unless your palm can unlock it… doubtful if you’re human… it’s not a one-handed operation). Ergonomic design reduces hand fatigue, and it will last a long time if you don’t drop it. I do drop mine (a character flaw, I know) and I’m on my third set. But so worth it… lifetime warranty!

Sliding Gauge

51bO85zzxJL__SS500_I don’t have this particular model (mine was from a sewing kit at an estate sale), but the function is the same. It’s a classic tool for measuring hems, seam allowances and other smallish things like button size. I use it a lot, and I’d recommend it to everyone.

Clover Thread Cutting Pendant

41HtqeKIY1L__SS500_

Not for everyone’s fashion sensibilities, but perfect if you're planning a whole day of sewing or knitting (ah… everyday!). A round blade hides inside and is only accessible to thread-sized strands, not fingers. Easy to trim hanging threads without hauling out the scissors.

Bobbin Saver Organizer

51Q752Xd0xL__SS500_

Handy, portable bobbin storage. From the product page:

Holds metal or plastic bobbins of all different sizes! Shaped like half of a bagel and hollowed out, it is made of flexible rubbery plastic that expands to receive the bobbin and promptly snugs up around it. Threads wont tangle or unwind. BobbinSaver holds over 20 bobbins securely. BobbinSaver is a simple elegant gadget to store any kind of bobbin.

There are so many more items I love, but most of them are bigger and probably more expensive. These are some of my favorites and they get regular use. These are the items I’d certainly replace immediately if they ever meet an untimely demise.

Best wishes for a stocking stuffed with crafty goodies… even if you have to fill it yourself!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Could you be in charge of stuffing my stocking? :)

Karen said...

That would be fun :)