Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Celebrate the Baby: DIY Fitted Crib Sheet

As I was puttering around and thinking about the nursery, I realized that I don’t have any crib sheets that fit my new color scheme of pale teal and orange. Not even a single white crib sheet to be found…

But I did have a designer twin-sized fitted sheet from a thrift store set I had bought a couple years ago for just such projects. It was a pinky peachy orange paisley. I had been putting off using it in excess for the nursery even though I love the pattern, if only because we are not finding out the gender of this baby until the big day arrives and, in truth, it seems a teeny tiny bit girly to me. I used some of it for the disappearing nine patch quilt I made earlier in the pregnancy. But then I rationalized that any boy of mine would still be proud to sleep on a handmade crib sheet (or not care anyway), no matter the color. I decided this would be the fabric to test a DIY fitted crib sheet tutorial I had found recently linked to on the Michael Miller fabrics website. I took liberties with teh specific instructions, using it mainly as a guide for the actual size for fabric cutting.

So, here is my fabric… it’s been cut to 45” by 69”, folded into quarters, and 8” by 8” squares have been cut out of each corner (lovely basement floor background, no?).

DSC_9137

Then I serged each corner, right sides together… I was lazy and just used the red/gray combo thread that was already threaded in my machine.

DSC_9139

Then I serged the raw edges to finish them, incorporating the elastic all the way around as I sewed.

DSC_9142

And here it is… on the crib mattress, with the quilt, in the nursery. The sheet was just a little roomy on the mattress, if we want to get picky, but it wasn’t worth adjusting it to perfection and I won’t do anything differently next time (yes, I’m lazy). In total, it took about 30 minutes to make.

DSC_9144

I love how it all works together, aesthetically and economically. The crib was purchased (in perfect shape, with mattress and owners manual!) at a garage sale for $35 before we had our first child. It happens to match our garage-sale-found changing table (not shown) exactly, though we did not buy them at the same time. The all white crib bumper was a Value World special at $1.75, and the crib skirt (a white and teal stripe that matches the wall color perfectly) was a Goodwill find for $2.35. Both pristine and completely washable (a thrift store must!). The wool Karastan rug, originally $900, cost me a meager $40 at a garage sale. The little animal hanging off the crib side is a travel-sized Sleep Sheep by Cloud b… purchased new from Amazon for about $20, but worth every penny since it lulls baby to sleep at home or on the go (purchased after our 3rd child). The crucifix was a wedding gift from thoughtful friends, but you really can’t put a price on eternal salvation, now can you? All we need now is a baby! Well, and to finish tidying and arranging the parts of the nursery you can’t see in this picture…

6 comments:

Emily said...

seriously, i cannot believed you managed to have a designer nursery for that price! you're amazing :)

sewfearless.com said...

Gorgeous color choices. Your home is so beautiful, Karen. :)

Betsy said...

Oooh! Thanks for posting a pic...do post more! I was having trouble visualizing "pale teal and orange" but I see how lovely it is! Btw, is the bumper Pottery Barn kids? I have one that I got for $5 from Goodwill that's worth something ridiculous like $70 just for the label and looks just like yours. Really lovely!

Karen said...

Thanks :) The bumper is actually a cheaper brand... I don't remember what it is but it fit the bill for "white bumper" perfectly. The crib skirt is Garnet Hill, though, so overall we're diong OK! Our previous crib bedding set was Pottery Barn kids (very nice and well made)... another $10 garage sale find including the sheet, bumper, duvet cover and feather duvet. I just donated the lot but kept the duvet... hopefully making a new cover for it will be an upcoming project, if I can muster the energy :) Hope you are well!!

portable crib bedding said...

Lov the color you choose. Your have a beautiful home:)

Ashley Wang said...

Hi Karen! I'm just wondering where you got that Coral Paisley fabric. I was looking for something along those lines for my bed. Thanks!!