I have been trying to get myself motivated to post a real pattern for a while now… too long, in fact. But I’m happy to end that today with this basic pattern for a hospital-type wrap top with optional hand covers to prevent scratching (one of my big baby annoyances… they’re so cute till they maul themselves about 3 minutes before you want to take pictures!). I based my design on the ones our hospital uses, but this will allow you to make much cuter, more personalized ones than the standard white-with-spit-up that you’re used to (well, that I’m used to, anyway).
I made this pattern with Garment Designer, and I am making it available for download as a PDF via Google Docs. You will print it, cut out the pieces, then tape them together (FYI, Garment Designer isn’t the most efficient with use of paper, and you don’t actually need to print pages 3,4 and 6 of the 8-page pattern). I may at some point put this up for sale as a real pattern with real directions in my Etsy shop, at which point it will no longer be free here (so get it now!). But until then, enjoy, and please leave a comment and link back to pictures of your creations! Since this is a unisex garment, it would be a great way to spice up some baby shower gifts or upcycle/repurpose some old knit shirts.
I’m not going to do a lot of describing… you’ll have to figure out your own construction (I used a serger, but you can use a conventional machine with a stretch stitch) and binding (you can use whatever method suits you best… knit binding, fold over elastic, or a simple rolled hem). You can use snaps (be sure to reinforce the fabric where you add them) or add ties to close it. The included seam allowance drafted into the pattern is 1/4”… feel free to make that wider if you need. To make the scratch mitt cuffs, fold each sleeve (while flat, before sewing into a tube) 1.5” from the hemmed edge of the sleeve (right sides together) and stitch in the center (so you can flip one side of the cuff over in either direction to cover the fingers). Then sew into a traditional sleeve. The bits of ribbon to which I attached the snaps on the brown top were 2” long and folded in half. The pink trim was 2” wide, folded in half, serged in place then wrapped around the seam and zigzagged to finish (it was quite bulky… I’ll probably rethink that next time).
Hopefully the photos help illustrate my construction… feel free to leave comments with any questions so I can clarify if I’ve left out anything crucial (very possible!). Pregnancy-brain is a real problem now!