Saturday, February 19, 2011

Celebrate the Baby: Sewing Pattern – Hospital-Type Newborn Wrap Top

I have been trying to get myself motivated to post a real pattern for a while now… too long, in fact. But I’m happy to end that today with this basic pattern for a hospital-type wrap top with optional hand covers to prevent scratching (one of my big baby annoyances… they’re so cute till they maul themselves about 3 minutes before you want to take pictures!). I based my design on the ones our hospital uses, but this will allow you to make much cuter, more personalized ones than the standard white-with-spit-up that you’re used to (well, that I’m used to, anyway).
DSC_9271DSC_9273
I am making this pattern available for download as a PDF via Google Docs. You will print it, cut out the pieces, then tape them together. I may at some point put this up for sale as a real pattern, at which point it will no longer be free here (so get it now!). But until then, enjoy, and please leave a comment and link back to pictures of your creations! Since this is a unisex garment, it would be a great way to spice up some baby shower gifts or upcycle/repurpose some old knit shirts.
DSC_9274DSC_9277DSC_9275DSC_9276
I’m not going to do a lot of describing… you’ll have to figure out your own construction (I used a serger, but you can use a conventional machine with a stretch stitch) and binding (you can use whatever method suits you best… knit binding, fold over elastic, or a simple rolled hem). You can use snaps (be sure to reinforce the fabric where you add them) or add ties to close it. The included seam allowance drafted into the pattern is 1/4”… feel free to make that wider if you need. To make the scratch mitt cuffs, fold each sleeve (while flat, before sewing into a tube) 1.5” from the hemmed edge of the sleeve (right sides together) and stitch in the center (so you can flip one side of the cuff over in either direction to cover the fingers). Then sew into a traditional sleeve. The bits of ribbon to which I attached the snaps on the brown top were 2” long and folded in half. The pink trim was 2” wide, folded in half, serged in place then wrapped around the seam and zigzagged to finish (it was quite bulky… I’ll probably rethink that next time).
Hopefully the photos help illustrate my construction… feel free to leave comments with any questions so I can clarify if I’ve left out anything crucial (very possible!). Pregnancy-brain is a real problem now!

DOWNLOAD the pattern here. (no longer accessible)

Update: This sewing pattern is now available for purchase here at my new blog, Thimble Pie.

Have fun!!!

14 comments:

Andrea said...

Love it! Little Bean is going to be très chic!

Lisa said...

Holy Cow! I've been searching for a pattern for this shirt for MONTHS and finally have one! Good thing too--because I just ordered my fabric! We're not finding out the gender of our upcoming bundle of joy, and I'm tired of ducks and yellow! Thanks SOOO much! (And I'm sure to have lots of questions later as I'm a beginner!)

Erin O Rankin said...

Thanks so much for this pattern! I can't believe it's free! I can't wait to try it!

Sarah Schulz said...

Just made my first one today! Thank you for the pattern!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love this top, but I can't get the download link to work. It takes me to Google Documents, but nothing comes up. I checked your Etsy site because I thought it might be for sale by now, but didn't see it. Help! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I also cannot download the pattern. Is there a way to receive it via email? Thanks!

Maureen Heck said...

Gorgeous. Almost took my breath away actually. I have been looking for a pattern like this -- thank you!

Becky said...

Was anyone able to get the pattern to work? This looks like the perfect newborn shirt. Thank you so much!

Becky said...

Karen was so kind to message me the updated link and it is for all of you! :)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&srcid=0B0SCPwxiKaj1YjZmOTFjMzItNWUxNS00NDY4LTkxNmMtZmE0OGRhNWRkNTMy&authkey=CL2_2dIP

Rachel Fox said...

This made my day! I've been looking for this type of pattern and finally found one I love...Yours! Thank you so much for taking the time to post it! It's perfect for my two little beans expected early 2014....

tiff said...

HI! I'm looking into purchasing Garment Designer. Have you done a review of it, or do you have any opinions on it? Love your blog! Thanks!

Masha said...

This looks perfect, however, Google Drive is telling me I don't have permission to download? I'd love to sew this up!

Summer Bell said...

I am unable to download the pattern, could you post the updated link? Thanks

Brenda said...

Love love love the design of this shirt! :-D Google Drive says I need your permission to access the document though. I've send you a request. Thanks in advance!