Thursday, February 17, 2011

From the Kitchen: Carol’s Chicken a la King

It’s been a while since I posted a recipe, but I have been cooking! My 2011 goal of weekly cooking is going very well. Unfortunately, I tend to take the best photos by natural light and, since we’re still in the dark evenings of our Michigan February, main dishes haven’t been forthcoming in photogenicity (notice the unnatural cast to the photos here). I made a nice Valentine’s Day dinner for my beloved… a pan-seared steak with red wine and shallot sauce recipe from Cook’s Illustrated (super yum!!)… and, although I was lovingly accused of orchestrating the meal primarily for a blog post (that’s how good it was!), it is clear now that that was not the case.

DSC_9264

But back to the case at hand… here’s a great recipe from my mother-in-law. This has always been a family favorite of theirs and, now that I’m family, it’s one of my favorites too. Sadly, I don’t make it often because I rarely have puff pastry around. It’s not exactly a freezer staple. And, though it is possible to make your own puff pastry, apparently it takes 3 days, and I’m much more likely to go to the store than spend that kind of time and advance planning for one meal. But it’s easily found in your local grocer’s freezer case, near the frozen pies.

Carol’s Chicken Ala King (3-4 servings)

Ingredients:

· ¼ cup butter

· 3 tbsp flour

· 1 cup strong chicken broth

· 1 cup milk (I used cream!)

· 1 tsp salt

· 1.5 cups fresh, chopped and sautéed mushrooms (I used a combination of white button and baby bella)

· ¼ cup chopped pimentos

· 2 cups diced cooked chicken

· 1 pkg Pepperidge Farms puff pastry shells, baked as directed (1 pkg has 6 shells)*

Directions:

Blend butter and flour in saucepan. Add mushrooms and sauté until well browned and bubbly. Slowly add broth and milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add salt, pimento and chicken. Heat through. Serve hot in pastry shells.

*Note: Puff pastry does not reheat well, so consider baking more shells for using the leftover filling.

DSC_9263

No comments: