Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Life in a Nutshell: The Waiting Game

I’m getting rounder and less agile (if I ever was “agile”) every day now… and finding that simultaneous energy and motivation are a tall order. The end is in sight, but lately I’ve been battling boredom and succumbing to my 2 worst end-of-pregnancy weaknesses: labor and delivery daytime TV programs AND lemon gummy bears. Darn you, TLC, and your terrible time-wasting ploys! Not that I have anything better to be doing, but normally I hadn’t started this baffling trend until the last month or so. I know I’m not the only preggo watching them either, given the commercials they air during the show. That doesn’t comfort me, though, and I find that it doesn’t help me focus on the hundreds of other, more worthwhile tasks I could be doing in the meantime. Argh… but I guess if I’m tired and it’s keeping me sitting down, it’s not all that bad. But just a teeny, tiny bit depressing since I’m a person who relishes completed projects more than down time. Seasons of life…

When I’m not doing that, however, I’ve been playing around more with my new software acquisition… Garment Designer by Cochenille. I am discovering more and more its possibilities as well as its limitations. As I contemplate making my own soft-structured baby carrier (think Ergo or Boba), I am realizing that I cannot use this program for that project with any amount of ease, since it’s just not a traditional garment. That said, Garment Designer can come up with a great sloper that will aid in determining measurements for the carrier (if I ever make it). I’m also playing around with some basic newborn-size garments for several impending arrivals, and the software, with its built-in average slopers, makes that a breeze even without having an actually neonate in my arms to measure (which would not be so fun or easy anyway). I hope to design a few patterns to share, but I am not even at the prototyping stage given the aforementioned lack of energy. Maybe tomorrow? We’ll see :)

I’ve been doing very well with my 2011 goal of cooking more and shopping less, and lately I’ve been working on finding recipes and making freezable meals to make life easier down the road. Since the due date is a ways off, I expect any meals I make now to simplify life near the end, and I hope to do some serious meal prep in a month or so to stock up before the baby arrives, but without risking freezer burn. I have a couple cookbooks for that sort of cooking, like The Best Make-Ahead Recipe and Once a Month Cooking, but I’ve also found some wonderful online resources as well. Mom’s Budget is a site that has a nice assortment of freezer recipes, and Allrecipes.com also has a nice selection. I’m attempting to make a recipe database in MS Access that will assist in calculating the necessary ingredients for large batch prep of multiple meals at once, but I haven’t figured out a good way to do that just yet. But that’s just a matter of time and trial. It’s a perfect low-energy project, but the mental effort may outweigh the physical ease, thus thwarting my progress. Meh. If I were more motivated, I might care :)

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome...the links re freezer meals, that is. (Well, TLC and lemon gummy bears sounds pretty awesome, too but we don't get TLC which is probably why my brain isn't dribbling out my ears after day #2 of bedrest and no exercise means gummy bears would be the death of me!) :) We've just started the freezer-meal-a-thon and having some more ideas is "clutch" as Mark says. Thanks a lot! :)

Betsy said...

P.S. Now I can't get visions of gummy bears out of my head. Darn you, little gummy bits of glorious artificially flavored and colored sugary deliciousness.

Tori said...

Oh - I feel for you in this stage! I probably would have succumbed to TLC too if we got that channel. Instead I played countless games of Spider Solitaire while trying to drum up energy and motivation.
Freezer-cooking was a lifesaver for me when baby finally showed up. It was so nice to have things prepped and ready and not have to run to the store all the time! These are good sites too for make ahead inspiration http://lifeasmom.com/ and http://onceamonthmom.com/
P.S. my 3 year old Loves your bread recipe and asks for it repeatedly!

Karen said...

Thanks, Tori! I'm going to check out your links (and your blog!) for more recipes... I really need to get planning but my motivation is running sooooo low these days! With my last pregnancy I was definitely a Spider Solitaire junkie too... funny!