Monday, March 7, 2011

Feathering the Nest: Really, This Past Week I Was Planning to…

…Write a tutorial about sewing a contoured changing pad cover.

Until I realized that wrapping a towel neatly around the pad was not only easier, it was more practical as well. A wonderfully orange towel from HomeGoods (and I bought a spare)… $4.99 each.

DSC_9407DSC_9408

…Hack a new cover for my well-used Boppy nursing pillow.

Then I found this wonderful and free Boppy slipcover tutorial and pattern from Vanilla Joy. I used anti-pill fleece and ended up putting the zipper on the side (because I didn’t have the size the tutorial needed), but it still worked great!

DSC_9411

…Make my husband install  a couple Ikea wall shelves for me.

But that sounded like a hassle for him, so I did it myself.

DSC_9410

…Sew a few more sheets for my Arm’s Reach Co-Sleeper Mini Bassinet.

Then I found out that king-size pillowcases fit this size perfectly. Problem solved (thank you, Google), and on the cheap (just $6.99 for a set of two 100% cotton 400 thread count king pillowcases at HomeGoods… and they even match the nursery color scheme!).

DSC_9413

…Buy some larger-sized flannel receiving blankets.

But I got some yardage on sale ($2.99/yd) so I made my own  in about 15 minutes (used 1.25 yd per blanket, 44” wide after serging the edges). This fun print will work for either a boy or girl, right? I had enough left over to make a couple flannel-diaper hybrid burp cloths using this quick and easy tutorial from Bobaloo!.

DSC_9422 DSC_9423

…Make dinner.

Oh well, some things were just not meant to be. Despite it seeming like all this progress got done in short order, I assure you that today was not stellar (sick kids, sick mom, kids drawing on walls, mom repainting walls, kids in time out, mom crashing on couch and watching crummy daytime programming, etc). How about a little pre-Mardi Gras paczki, anyone? Have a Happy Fat Tuesday, a thoughtful Ash Wednesday and a thoroughly penitent Lent, everyone!

3 comments:

Reenie said...

As always, you blow me away!! I especially like the towel for the changing table and all your other brilliant hacks. And who needs dinner anyway :)

Hope the day improves and there is no more scratching of walls. grrr

Jodi said...

Some of the best things happen when our best plans go awry. :)

Erin M. said...

Sounds like you found the perfect projects to get ready for the baby at this stage. Hope you continue to be healthy through this last month.