Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Get Crafty: DIY Fabulous Baby Shower Cookie Favors

*Pre-scheduled post… no baby yet, but we all need distractions, right?*

This post was hard to categorize… It’s both kitchen and crafty!

Many weeks ago I was asked to assist a friend with some baby shower cookie favors. I don’t advertise myself as a cookie decorator, but I guess I’m getting good enough after a few fun Christmases of baking. I was given a batch of 3” homemade gingerbread baby carriage cookies (I have got to get this recipe!!) and given free reign to decorate them in boy colors. I used a confectioner’s sugar and meringue powder icing (maybe 1 tsp meringue powder to 1/2 cup powdered sugar?), and simply adjusted the consistency depending on whether I was making distinct lines or filling them in. I used pastry bags for the outlining and flooding, then a parchment paper cone for the detail work and to spare my hands from too much squeezing.

They started out naked:

DSC_9400

Then got some outlines:

DSC_9401

Then got some color:

DSC_9402DSC_9403

Then got some details:

DSC_9404 DSC_9405

I think they turned out so cute!! I love that these are a really special but inexpensive favor. I’ve got another baby shower coming up for my sister-in-law and first ever nephew (I’m so excited to be an aunt!!) and I am hoping (if my own little baby complies with my plans) to try out some more baby-themed confections. I guess time will tell!

DSC_9405 - Copy

No comments: