*This is a pre-scheduled post due to the likelihood of my being out of commission… today is my due date, though hopefully I’ve already given birth to the little bean and am napping blissfully with my new babe-in-arms. Or at least sitting down somewhere comfortable. Enjoy!*
My aunt Beth introduced me to the clever design of Dex Dura Bibs when she and my uncle adopted my cute little cousin Kimmie about 5 years ago (and now a little sister Patty too!). These bibs are seriously the best, easiest, most convenient, most washable bibs ever created. It is pure genius, and I highly recommend them as essential feeding gear for children of all sizes. The design allows it to be snapped up to give a seamless catchall for every manner of wet and dry dribble, and then unsnapped for easy wipe ups. It’s made of a waterproof vinyl material, so even big liquid spills will not make it to the clothing. It can be machine washed when it gets funky, and sanitized on a daily basis with an appropriate detergent and wet cloth. It’s brilliant. Did I mention you should get one? I think they sell them at Walmart, Meijer, and a variety of other brick-and-mortar locations in addition to Amazon.
Now, we’ve gone through a few in our time and, eventually, maybe after 2 years of continuous use, they tend to crack where they are always being folded and unfolded. Not a bad life-span, I think. But now that I have awesome Kam Snaps and the means to install them, I figured I’d try to make my own copycat version. Here’s the original, for reference:
To make mine, I picked up some pleather on sale at JoAnn’s. I love the glittery silver… sort of gender neutral “rock star” looking, if you ask me. I’m not sure it’ll have the same lifespan as the actual Dura Bibs because I just feel like this fabric will crack sooner, but who knows... maybe I’ll be surprised. Next time I may look into other waterproof fabric options. I bought a half yard which will probably make 5 bibs. For the black edging, I used some fold over elastic bought many moons ago on Etsy. And black Kam Snaps, of course.
I simply traced the original bib on the back of the pleather and cut it out with my mini rotary cutter. I also made a second piece to cover the bottom back of the pleather when the bib is snapped up, since the back was not nice-looking. I then sewed the FOE around the edges. I’d be sinning by omission if I didn’t mention that I had to rip out a couple areas and re-sew them where I didn’t fully catch the pleather. I suppose practice would make that skill perfect, but I’m not frequently in need of FOE. But with black thread, you’d never know it now. Add in the snaps (again, just using the original as a template), and I have a perfect working copy! I’m so pleased!
And here it is on my slightly-too-big model, just moments before I discovered he had drawn on the walls in two of the upstairs bedrooms. Oh, you naughty boy! Look at that impish smile. If only this bib could prevent THAT sort of mess, then we’d be in business…