Tuesday, September 13, 2011

From the Kitchen: Chicken and Pasta in Lemon Cream Sauce

This recipe was a bit of a surprise winner, actually. I wasn’t sure if the lemon would go over, but I needed to use up some cooked chicken (long story) and my husband required pasta before last night’s hockey game. I used several recipes for inspiration, then just worked with what I had on hand. It was easy, tasty and filling. Cooking the pasta in the broth gave a real depth of flavor to the dish, and my husband, after one bite, said, “This is good… whatever it is.” I had debated adding some vegetables to the dish, like broccoli or zucchini, but at the last minute I decided to serve them raw with dinner because then my kids would eat them instead of picking them out (you know how it is). But you could add them in if you wanted.

DSC_1364

Ingredients:

6 cups water

4 chicken bouillon cubes or 4 tsp chicken soup base

1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

juice of one lemon

1 tsp lemon zest

2 large cloves of garlic, pressed or finely minced

1 lb pasta (I used bowties)

2 cups cooked chicken, pulled into bite-size chunks

1 cup sour cream

Directions:

Bring water to a boil. Add bouillon, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, and garlic. Add pasta and cook on medium until pasta is all dente and there is about 1/2 cup liquid left in the pot. Add chicken and continue heating for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream until well combined and creamy. It may still seem a bit runny, but the sauce will thicken as it stands. Serve hot and enjoy!

DSC_1366DSC_1367

I’m sure this recipe could be modified a million ways and still be wonderful – rice instead of pasta? roasted peppers in the sauce? mushrooms? - but the basic concept of creamy lemon was the big winner of the day. Unexpectedly extraordinary :)

2 comments:

Erin said...

It looks delish! You are a delight!

Karen said...

Tim can home from work with an empty container of it and said, "This was incredibly good leftovers." High praise!!