Monday, September 19, 2011

From the Kitchen: My Full-Size Sheet Cake Adventure

*Here’s a little catch-you-up post from the heat summer… I started it but never finished it, possibly due to lack of final product photos...? Oh well. In an effort not to have wasted that time, here it finally is.*

I have many, many wonderful friends, and a particularly special set of them are celebrated their 10th anniversary this summer. They organized a vow renewal Mass and a reception for their family and friends, and were in need of a cake on a budget, and I was in need of a special gift for them. So… I just couldn’t help myself… I volunteered to make the cake.

I was being optimistic about my skills (I got to experiment with icing under the eye of a professional helped decorate a wedding cake once) and my available time (I was trying to keep it together with a 3 month old and 3 other kids had no babysitter). But I did it! I baked, frosted and decorated a giant cake to feed about 100 people! And it looked OK! Some parts even looked great! And it was very tasty. It took a long day, but I was proud that I accomplished it, and can now check this particular feat off my bucket list.

I baked four 11” by 17” pans… two white cake, two devil’s food. I was really nervous about cooking it thoroughly without toasting the edges, and having it bake evenly to avoid excessive doming. For each layer, I used 2 boxes of Betty Crocker cake mix, prepared with 1 extra egg per mix. I greased each pan, poked 2 flower nails (to help the center cook by conducting heat) through parchment paper to line the bottom of each pan, then greased that too. I baked them at 325 for about 38 minutes each, and flipped them successfully onto wire racks to cool after 10 minutes in the pan after baking. They domed a little, but were baked just right.

Getting them onto the board was tricky, but I was ultimately successful. I piped a buttercream dam around the edge to hold the filling (a chocolate Bavarian cream mousse on the chocolate cake, and a strawberry peach cream mousse on the vanilla).  I then awkwardly managed to get the two top layer cakes on almost straight, and gave up trying to get them perfect to avoid tearing the cake. I leveled by eyeballing with a large thin bread knife.

DSC_0299 DSC_0298DSC_0305

Then I did a little dirty icing (I prefer that term to “crumb coating” because it sounds like more fun, don’t you think?). I am no good with thin layers, and I needed some depth to cover a multitude of ugliness underneath, but it worked. It was finally iced, as smoothly as I was willing to work for, with no visible crumbs. Hooray!

DSC_0307

I used a toothpick to draw a heart on the top to define the area for text, then used a red thread as a rough guide to help me write in straight lines. It didn’t work… my writing on this cake was terrible. It was mostly straight, but I used a calligraphy tip I had never used before (big mistake), didn’t plan out exactly where the text would go, and it didn’t help that I was leaning over the gigantic cake in a weird way to avoid a) smashing it and b) further straining my already strained back. Meh. I’ll eventually get over it, and all my friends were much too polite to comment.

DSC_0309

Then I slapped on a piped pearl border and some buttercream roses. Don’t I make it sound easy?  Well, it wasn’t, actually. They were difficult for me and took a long time. It was good practice though, and maybe the next time I’ll make them it won’t be in a hot, humid house destined to wilt even the stiffest butter-based icing. The end result looked good enough to me.

DSC_0310

Then I added leaves (those really were easy), and it was done! Frosted, it measures about 23” by 1” by 4”, and is the cake equivalent of about 192 cupcakes. Dangerous. I would have liked to have weighed it, just out of gross curiosity, but since I couldn’t even lift it by myself, that was never going to happen.

DSC_0313

Ta da! One giant cake. Final cost… about $40 and 6 hours of my time, but the experience was priceless.

DSC_0319

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Ok crazy lady, what are you NOT good at? :) I had a good laugh after reading about your terrible writing job and kept waiting to find out how you managed to remove said terrible writing without ruining the cake, and rewriting beautifully...only to realize that you were talking about the finished product...which includes gorgeously piped writing! If you want to see a hack job you should see the pictures of a goodbye cake I wrote on...oh wait, there are no pictures, it was that bad. Well, you've done it again, wonder woman. Some day, perhaps God will sprinkle on me whatever dust He used to form you. Missing you!