Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Life in a Nutshell: Minutiae

My mind for 5 minutes this morning:

“Please finish eating, N, it’s almost time to go!” Don’t forget to put fruit snacks in K’s backpack. “Please give this t-shirt to your teacher so you have it when it’s time to dye for your pow wow.” Must start the dishwasher so we have plates for lunch. Is it nap time for the baby yet? He’s getting fussy. “OK, baby, don’t cry! I’ll get you out of that high chair!” More spilled milk? That is the second day in a row K has done that! “Please get a wiper and clean that up. Be more careful next time or we’ll have to go back to sippy cups."” Don’t forget to re-wipe that when she’s done. Put lunch in N’s backpack. And sign her day planner. Is M awake yet? Does he have any long pants in his dresser? Did I put away the kid laundry or is it still in the basement? I don’t remember. “N, let me brush your hair. There. Now get ready to go. I can’t walk with you today but I’ll wave out the front window. You can scooter. Your gloves are in your helmet. Have a great day… love you!” There’s M… he found some pants. “Your breakfast is on the table, bud.” Wave out the window. “Please get the broom and clean that cereal up before someone steps on it and the mess is bigger.”Shoot! I forgot to give N her asthma meds before she left. But I can still dose M. “M! Come here, guy! Drink that. Now the nose stuff. Now do your puffs.” I suppose now would be a good time to dole out some vitamins. Is everyone done eating? Now run the dishwasher before you forget. Oooh, and switch those rugs into the dryer. I wonder if the toothpaste came out. Grab that bin while you’re in the basement so you don’t have to run down again. What are you going to cook for dinner? Fussy baby. “M, can you please give the baby a toy? Thanks, guy!” Better sweep before that cereal migrates to the carpet. But he did a pretty good job this time, didn’t he? Oh, it’s gooey! That’s right, the milk. Where’s that dish rag? What is this paper on the floor? Someone’s homework? Better ask before you toss it. I better make some breakfast for myself soon. Don’t forget to call Cindy. Check the calendar for next week first…

As I ponder my life as it is and why I generally feel overwhelmed at this particular time, I am coming to the realization that it isn’t over-commitment that is causing this feeling like my brain will explode. It’s just that I have an endless train of minutiae chugging through my head, and it doesn’t need to stop to refuel. I have some ideas about how to combat this necessary aspect of mothering multiple youngsters, and I’ll share as I figure it out. But right now I had better go deal with some more tiny tasks before they cause a problem…

1 comment:

Anna Ray said...

Haha! Motherhood seems to cultivate ADD! Don't know what I would do with myself if I only had one thing to focus on :) Sometimes with my reading kids I give them a written list/chart so I can just ask if they've done everything on the list or chart.