Monday, August 6, 2012

From the Kitchen: No-Bake Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake

Summer. Hot. 2012 = ridiculously hot. I have been trying not to bake as much so as to avoid heating up my entire house, and no-bake recipes have been collecting in my recipe box (aka the Paprika app) like they’re going out of style.  I’ve been perfecting homemade chewy chocolate chip granola bars (no-bake!) and making chocolate peanut butter drop cookies (no-bake!) from a recipe shared by a great friend. I’ve been baking, when necessary, in my electric roaster in the garage. I kid you not… I cooked a lasagna in it a few weeks ago during that insane heat wave that is still continuing.

DSC_4883

But this week it was all about the cheesecake. We had an amazing New York style cheesecake at a friend’s house recently and I’ve been having cheesecake cravings ever since. My kids were unwilling to try that so-called “cake” with cheese in it, so I have wanted to try something to see if I can’t get them to like it (therefore justifying my making it more often!). So when I modified a recipe I found on Cooks.com, I didn’t tell them it had cream cheese in it. They liked it, but it was still a bit on the rich side for kids’ taste preferences. Oh well… more for me :)

DSC_4885

No-Bake Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs

1/3 cup butter, melted

2 tablespoon cocoa powder

1/4 cup sugar

16 oz cream cheese, softened

8 oz semisweet chocolate chips, melted

2 cups milk

1 package instant chocolate pudding

8 oz container of Cool Whip

Directions:

For Crust:

Combine crumbs, butter, cocoa and sugar together in 9-inch springform pan; press firmly onto bottom.

For Cheesecake:

Beat cream cheese with chocolate in large mixer bowl until fluffy. Mix the milk and instant pudding until thoroughly combined. Mix with cheese/ chocolate mixture. Fold in Cool Whip. Pour into prepared pan. Tap to help air bubbles escape. Chill about 3 hours or until set. Run spatula around edge before removing rim.

DSC_4882

2 comments:

Sandsdal said...

Ok thats a good looking cake! Ha ha ha Its sad that I am the worst woman in this world to bake. I really try hard to learn it. Last time I made a cake to my family my husband asked if I tried to kill him. But your cake looks so good!

beebee said...

May i just asked what else can you substitute the instant chocolate pudding mix with should i want to make everything from scratch? Also how much is the 1 package that you use? Many thanks!!!