Saturday, August 18, 2012

Get Crafty: SewFearless-Inspired Hand Silhouette Pillow

DSC_5125

As you may know from previous posts, the fabulously talented Jodi over at SewFearless is my REAL LIFE friend (I’m amazing by association, right?). She came up with a great gift idea: an embroidered pillow featuring hand silhouettes. She give some tips here, and another post about a another gorgeous one she made is here. She’s a textile genius. I loved this idea, and I was inspired to make something in the same vein for my mother and mother-in-law with grandkids hand prints. I stitched them on my machine, sewing on the wrong side using a bobbin with pearl cotton and standard thread for the needle. It gave a nice clean embroidered effect on the right side, though experience taught me to be careful with the direction you wind the pearl cotton because it can cause a wavy line if the cotton twist and bobbin direction align properly (look closely, you’ll notice it).

DSC_5124DSC_5127

2 comments:

Jodi Bonjour said...

wow! You just blew my mind with that technique! I never knew you could do that with the bobbin thread.

Karen said...

I heard about it somewhere... Might have to adjust the bobbin tension to get the pearl cotton going through smoothly, but it really was a great technique! I'm proud to have introduced you to something, after all your inspiring of me :)