Saturday, August 25, 2012

Hit the Links: Homemade Baby Shower Gift Idea Roundup

Today I am attending a baby shower for the Best Baby. That is, the firstborn child of the Best Man at our wedding. I can’t wait to meet this little guy (who is guaranteed to be funny, smart, and have excellent taste in both food and fashion). But the question when one is known for making baby things… what to make for this special baby? I’ve made so many baby things from so many great inspiration sources, it can be hard to decide. But here are some of my favorite projects that I considered when planning this gift.

I’ve made pleated ring slings of linen (for myself) and silk or cotton (for my friends) using a great tutorial from Jan Andrea. For some reason they are always gray fabric. Go figure.

DSC_1346 DSC_1344 DSC_2427

I’ve made burp clothes, pacifier clips, bowtie and necktie onesies, baby leg warmers and simple baby blankets.

DSC_9441 DSC_9420 DSC_9432 DSC_9440

And hospital-type newborn kimono shirts from my own pattern, blogged here and free pattern available here (though you have to figure out your own construction plan).

DSC_9279 DSC_9271

I have made crib sheets and baby quilts (Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt blogged here and here).

DSC_9143 DSC_8472

And the standby oversized flannel wrap (and available for purchase in my shop).

DSC_9422 DSC_9607 - Copy

And of course the hats! Animal ears hats in cashmere or fleece, they are always sure to please! My original sewing pattern available to purchase in my newly opened pattern shop LEVEL Design, or you can buy a hat made by me at TheJuneBride.

DSC_0993_pp DSC_1501

So… what to make for the Best Baby? This time I decided to give an oversized flannel wrap with a matching crinkle taggie toy made based on this tutorial from Simple Things, Sweet Life. I used my pliers and Kamsnaps to make it attachable to a stroller or car seat (because babies throw stuff). I also made a matching toy tether for the same reason.

DSC_5283DSC_5286

I also made an Irish green cashmere hat and matching cashmere pants using Made by Rae’s free Basic Newborn Baby Pants pattern. Did I mention that the Best Baby is a Notre Dame sho0-in since both of his brilliant parents are alumni? Anyway, it seemed appropriate, especially considering TheJuneGroom and I are also both ND alumni.

DSC_5282DSC_5281 DSC_5279

So I added in a couple store-bought baby staples and wrapped the whole lot up in the blanket for a cute presentation, and finished it with Martha’s favorite bow.

DSC_5287

So, what are you making for your next baby shower gift?

1 comment:

Jodi Bonjour said...

A sling is always my go to gift for a good friend or family member, and for an acquaintance, I usually do one of my flannel baby blankets. http://sewfearless.com/2010/11/20/bundles-for-babies-easy-baby-blanket/