Monday, September 17, 2012

From the Kitchen: Ham Fried Rice

DSC_5380

This recipe came from my mother-in-law, specially requested by my husband. Now I know why! It’s a staple in our dinner planning now, and every time I make it he sings a song about it. “Fried rice, fried rice, cheese and baloney, after the macaroni…” It entertains the kids, and I imagine one day, when they have their own kids, they will have to sing it too. That’s life for you.

I’m posting it here mainly for own sake… I always think I have posted it in the past, and I come to the blog to find my recipe (because it’s faster than digging out my recipe box and it’s not yet in Paprika in my iPad)… but then, it’s not here. So I wing it (it is one of those types of recipes where you can vary the amounts of ingredients and it doesn’t matter much). But, today, I remedy that. And it will save me time and consternation in the future. And you can feel free to enjoy it too, if you like.

DSC_5381

Carol’s Ham Fried Rice

Ingredients:

1 tbsp oil

1 onion, diced small

1/2 cup celery, chopped small

2 cloves garlic, pressed

1 cup ham, cubed small

4 cups cooked rice

2-4 tbsp soy sauce (to taste)

3 hardboiled eggs, peeled and diced

Directions:

Add oil to large pan and sauté onions, celery and garlic until fragrant and translucent. Add ham and cook until heated through. Add rice and blend, then season with soy sauce, fluffing with a fork. Add in chopped egg and blend. Serve hot!

DSC_5382

Oh, as I was putting all my photos away after writing this, I found where I went wrong in the past. I HAD planned to blog it (I KNEW it!), but must have put my photos in the wrong place (silly me). Here is another time I made it, prettied up with green onions and an egg (not how we normally eat it, but you can tell we usually do use our rice bowls!). Curious…

DSC_6549

No comments: