Monday, September 24, 2012

Get Crafty: Knit. Not.

When asked, my canned response is, “I can’t knit.”

But, that’s not really true. Once upon a time, long ago in the hallowed halls of the University of Notre Dame, I knit something. Two things, actually. I think, in a fit of what can only be described as blind passion, I even followed a pattern. But that was both the start and the end of it. I have a knit-only scarf that has been a WIP for over 5 years now. Sigh. But I am still proud that I made some mittens that are very wearable.

DSC_5487

Sorry for the weird photo… they were hard to photograph. Lumpy, shapeless things always are.

I love wool in almost any form, and I love yarn even if I don’t have the patience or direction-following skills to become an excellent knitter. I also “can’t crochet”, but I happened to make a crochet hat and scarf that I (and sometimes my girls) still wear occasionally, another college-era creation. The yarn came from my mom’s stash… I believe it had been slated for sweater-hood at one point or other, but I just LOVED the color. Still do. Very vibrant and warm. I did not follow a pattern for either hat or scarf, and I was very lucky that they turned out. Happy accidents. I do not and never have understood crochet language, though I think I must have known how to double crochet because of the band around the hat’s edge. 

DSC_5490DSC_5491DSC_5489

It was only shortly after these projects that I was given my first sewing machine, and I would have to say that my passion is clearly for sewing, not yarn arts. I guess when you know what you love, there’s simply no going back…

No comments: