Monday, October 29, 2012

From the Kitchen: Homemade English Muffins

DSC_6279

I never really thought I’d drool over English muffins. But then, I had never had a fresh one. I made this batch of homemade English muffins today… my first try. It was a complete and utter success and I think the experience has ruined store-bought English muffins forever. Forever.

DSC_6283

I found this recipe on the King Arthur flour website (while looking for something else) and was intrigued. I imported the recipe into my iPad’s Paprika app (love!) but didn’t get a picture, and then forgot about it. But at the grocery store today I couldn’t get myself to spend vast quantities of cash on cereal, and I needed to make some easy and tasty breakfast foods to feed my people this week. I wasn’t sure how these would turn out, but literally every recipe I have tried from King Arthur has turned out better than expected, so I decided I’d give it a whirl. I almost made a double batch, but my inner voice told me not to. Good thing, because the one batch made 28 English muffins (the recipe says 16, but they would be HUGE). I ate one of the first to come off the griddle, covered with some homemade Michigan strawberry jam we received as a favor from the wedding we attended this past weekend. It was yummy tasty delicious scrumptious heavenly indescribably good. Since I want what’s best for you too(really!), I strongly encourage you to try this recipe.

DSC_6276

English Muffins (from the King Arthur Flour website)

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) milk, warm
3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) butter
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons (7/8 ounce) granulated sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 to 4 1/4 cups (17 to 18 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast

Directions:

Place the ingredients in the pan of your bread machine following the manufacturer's instructions. Use the "dough" or "manual" setting. After the cycle is complete, transfer the dough to a cornmeal-sprinkled surface and roll it out until it's about 1/2-inch thick. Cut out circles with a floured 3-inch cutter (or use a glass if you don’t happen to have a cutter). Re-roll and cut out the leftover dough as many times as necessary to use it all up. Cover the muffins with a damp cloth and let rest for about 20 minutes.

Heat a frying pan or griddle to very low heat. I used an electric griddle and set it to 300 degrees, which worked beautifully. Do not grease, but sprinkle with cornmeal. Cook as many muffins as you can fit without crowding at a time, cornmeal side down first, for about 7 minutes a side (maybe longer). Check after about 3 to 4 minutes to see that the muffins are browning gently and are neither too dark nor too light; if they seem to be cooking either too fast or too slowly, adjust the temperature of your pan or griddle. You can squish them down a bit if they seem too tall and you are afraid the middle isn’t cooking enough. When the muffins are brown on both sides, transfer them to a wire rack to cool, and proceed with the rest.

DSC_6278DSC_6281

Breakfast will never be the same.

2 comments:

Natalie Roehrig said...

These look great! I can't wait to try this recipe. My bread maker is still in it's unopened box from our wedding almost 8 years ago, but these are going to make me finally get it out!! Thanks for sharing!

Reenie said...

Mmmmmm. They look delicious- I'm hungry just looking at your gorgeous pictures!! Will try these in the kitchen aid and report back (no breadmaker but me).