Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thrifting for Gold: Pottery at the End of the Rainbow (with Easy Spanish Rice)

How did it get to be Thursday already? This week certainly hasn’t “flown by”, but neither have I been energetic enough to get a post going. So sad. I have been laid out for several days now with a very bad cold. Surprisingly bad. One of those colds that gives you a sore throat from coughing, and makes you wonder, “What exactly are the symptoms of pneumonia again?” I feel pretty sure at this point that I’m getting better, but I’m still trying to keep hydrated and not overdo it, for the sake of my poor abused lungs. And because we have a growing number of commitments this weekend, including but not limited to a wedding, a baby shower and another funeral. It’s been one of those weeks that you pray ends up being character-building.

During my various stints lying on the couch, my constant companion has been a new favorite mug. You remember, the one I wrote about some weeks ago. Oh, lovely hand thrown mug! Holder of 16+ ounces of tea at a time. I love you so!

But the story gets better! The next time I popped into the thrift store where I had purchased the mug, I saw the rest of the dinnerware set. Gasp! There was more!! They smartly decided to dig through various boxes to see how much was actually there to sell it as a group rather than piece by piece. They regretted selling the one mug before they realized it (ha ha!). Since I was in love and had no idea what they would find or what they would ask for it or when they would actually put it up for sale, I asked them to please call me when they were ready to sell so that I could have the first shot at it. This goes against every bargaining instinct I possess which, under normal circumstances, would dictate showing no attachment and always asking for a lower price. But… I wasn’t sure I could walk away. The heart loves what it loves, and you don’t always know why!

DSC_6007

It took the store a couple of weeks before they actually put it up for sale.  In the end, they had found six full place settings of the stuff, plus a seventh set minus the mug I had already bought and an eighth small plate. Oh joy!! Their asking price was 60% of the maximum price I decided that I would have paid. I didn’t even ask for a lower price. I know I said I wouldn’t be buying any more thrift store mugs anytime soon, but… plans change. I now have 7 full place settings each including a dinner plate, a salad/dessert plate, a large bowl and a mug. And one extra small plate just for kicks. Each piece has the lovely cross stamp, and it's like hide and seek to find each one since placement varies greatly. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy having dinnerware with character! They will work nicely with canning jars when I finally decide to go that route for our household beverage containers (someday, after my people break enough of our current glasses). I also secretly think I could mix and match with other partial pottery dinnerware sets I may encounter on distant future thrift store expeditions, when we have more need for “grown up” dishes and less need for plastic Ikea ones.

DSC_6007 - Copy

In the bowl is one of my go-to Mom lunch foods… Spanish Rice topped with sour cream and cheese. The bread is a new favorite recipe… olive oil dough from the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

Spanish Rice (the fast way)

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked rice, any type (I like to use Vigo’s yellow rice mix)

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 can diced tomatoes, drained

1 cup frozen corn

Seasonings of choice (salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, cilantro, etc)

Directions:

Mix well and heat thoroughly.

Eat, topped with your favorite cheese and sour cream.

Refrigerate leftovers.

Reheat.

Eat again.

You can always add some meat if you want more protein, or whatever other veggies you want. It’s basically fool-proof, and always ends up being filling and tasty.

Happy thrifting! Stay healthy :)

1 comment:

Reenie said...

It is beautiful and so YOU!! So glad you got it!