Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Apple Pizza Pie

DSC_0314

I will start out by admitting that my family is not really a pie family. We generally prefer non-fruit desserts – cake, ice cream, cookies – but sometimes apple pie must be made. I had a few apples around that needed to be used up, and I found this recipe on foodfamilyfinds.com for an apple dessert pizza. It looked tasty so I used it as a starting point for my own. Turned out beautiful and delicious, and my oh my was it easy. It is a dairy-free recipe (make sure your crust doesn’t use butter), so I took half of it over to a dear friend who avoids dairy for the sake of her little nursing baby… sometimes you have to share the love!

DSC_0318

Apple Pizza Pie

Serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 1 unbaked refrigerated pie crust (or make your own!)
  • 3 large Granny Smith apples
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F

2. Peel core and cut apples into ½ inch wedges

3. Toss apples with sugar, cinnamon and flour.

4. Spread apples over the center of the pie crust on a pizza baking sheet, leaving an inch of dough around the edges.

5. Fold dough towards the center to create a crust around the apples.

6. Bake 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown.

7. Serve warm or cold!

DSC_0320

Don’t you just love that red tray? My Grandma painted it… she passed into eternal life 2 years ago today, and I love having this little memento of her life and talent. She was always warm and comforting, just like apple pie. I miss you Grandma! I pray for you and I am sure you are praying for me too!

No comments: