I will start out by admitting that my family is not really a pie family. We generally prefer non-fruit desserts – cake, ice cream, cookies – but sometimes apple pie must be made. I had a few apples around that needed to be used up, and I found this recipe on foodfamilyfinds.com for an apple dessert pizza. It looked tasty so I used it as a starting point for my own. Turned out beautiful and delicious, and my oh my was it easy. It is a dairy-free recipe (make sure your crust doesn’t use butter), so I took half of it over to a dear friend who avoids dairy for the sake of her little nursing baby… sometimes you have to share the love!
Apple Pizza Pie
- 1 unbaked refrigerated pie crust (or make your own!)
- 3 large Granny Smith apples
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2. Peel core and cut apples into ½ inch wedges
3. Toss apples with sugar, cinnamon and flour.
4. Spread apples over the center of the pie crust on a pizza baking sheet, leaving an inch of dough around the edges.
5. Fold dough towards the center to create a crust around the apples.
6. Bake 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown.
7. Serve warm or cold!
Don’t you just love that red tray? My Grandma painted it… she passed into eternal life 2 years ago today, and I love having this little memento of her life and talent. She was always warm and comforting, just like apple pie. I miss you Grandma! I pray for you and I am sure you are praying for me too!